Re: [Amps] Trimming the transmission line

To: Gary Smith <wa6fgi@sbcglobal.net>,Barry Kirkwood <barry.kirkwood@gmail.com>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Trimming the transmission line
From: rgroh@swbell.net
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 19:19:59 -0700 (PDT)
Yes. Although to generalize Barry's statements a bit, restricting the feedline
to a certain length 'moves' the antenna impedance to a different impedance
which is easier for the transmitter to handle. The SWR is not modified (other
than a small decrease due to line loss) but the impedance can be substantially
modified. Easiest to see and explain if one is familiar with Smith Charts where
it is very easy to see the effect of line length. The effect of using a certain
length of feedline might not be to move the antenna impedance to a purely
resistive one at the transmitter but might be to simply move the antenna
impedance to a more tractable one.

73
Bob Groh, WA2CKY