Re: [Amps] Vertex_Yaesu Merger

To: Dennis W0JX <w0jx@yahoo.com>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Vertex_Yaesu Merger
From: Peter Chadwick <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 11:23:55 +0100 (CET)
W0JX said:
>If this merger goes through, it will be the end of Yaesu as we know it.<
Once upon a time, there was very succesful VHF radio telephone manufacturing
company based at 110 Artillerisvej, Copenhagen, called Storno. They had
subsidiaries in a lot of other European countries, as well as Australasia.
Motorola bought them with the usual flurry of press releases, promises etc.
Storno (or 'Stornorola' as they got called) have disappeared, and few, if any
employees are still employed by Motorola. The Metropolitan police liked Storno
handheld radios, rather than those from Pye. This was because the Storno radio
had a fairly heavy metal case that only bent when used to hit people over the
head: the Pye radios with a plastic case cracked and fell apart.
I'm trying to think of a company bought my Motorola that has lasted in
recognisable form..
73
Peter G3RZP