Re: [Amps] Bird 1KW+ Load Resistor

To: "Keith Schreiber" <schreiber@alltel.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Bird 1KW+ Load Resistor
From: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 08:30:50 -0500
Load resistors are usually Carborundum (trade name) or similar and come in a
wide range of values and wattages.

They are pricey new but do show up on Ebay and flea markets once in awhile.

Bring an Ohmeter or get a guarantee from a mail order seller as the value
can change considerably over time. I have a few that were still sealed when
purchased 100W ones that measured 68-70 Ohms. A little bit of file work and
sealant returned them to 50 Ohms; they have remained at 50 Ohms for over 10
years.

One way to possibly cheat the price if the load is strictly for HF is to
find a 200 Ohm or higher version and use a powdered iron unun. Ive used a
reverse connected 12:1 balun to test old style push pull balanced output
transmitters and amps as well as feed coax lines as Im doing with PP 211's.

Carl
KM1H

Carl
KM1H