Re: [Amps] Using HV rectifiers from microwave ovens

To: "Angel Vilaseca" <avilaseca@bluewin.ch>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Using HV rectifiers from microwave ovens
From: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 10:10:10 -0500
With such a close match why bother?

I would be more concerned about using those diodes at all since you will be
running them with only a small margin. Do you know their full specs?

A typical commercial amp power supply of that capacity will use a 1N5408
diode for a wide safety margin from surges and line voltage spikes. It is
rated at 1KV @ 3A but more important is the 200A peak surge current. Small
quantity price is around $.15 each.

Carl
KM1H