Re: [Amps] more dangers in our shack

To: "Steve Thompson" <g8gsq@eltac.co.uk>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] more dangers in our shack
From: "Nils Petter Pedersen" <la7sl@online.no>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 23:44:19 +0100
Hi Steve !
Well... according to a red coloured note I found in the
original Eimac box when ordering some 4CX250's many
years ago,- those tubes contained BeO.
According to that note the premises should be immediately
evacuated and Eimac called if a tube seal cracked !!!!
I suspect this was Eimac's way of avoiding possible damage claims,-
but the note stated clearly that the product contained BeO ...
I asked a friend in the industry about this and he told me that BeO
were often used as a combined mount/insulator/heatsink for the G1
and G2 structures in metal/ceramic power tubes.
I do not think it is necessary to evacuate if you break a seal ! Unless
you machine the stuff or treat it in a way that makes BeO powder
or dust I would not be too concerned.
BTW my microwave oven came with some really idiotic warnings...
It did not tell me not to dry my cat in it,- but it came close :-)
***My latest shipment from Eimac with 4CX250's came without the
warning note .. they may have changed internal construction or revised
their policies... ****
Peter