Re: [Amps] Misconceptions about hazmat in ham radio equip

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Misconceptions about hazmat in ham radio equip
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@eltac.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 08:51:39 +0000
John Lyles wrote:

> Now for beryllia. It is used in SOME power tubes, not LOTS of them. Eimac had
> to include a disclaimer about it with every tube....

I'm intrigued by 'had to' - do you know why?

It is also in beryllium-copper metal used for EMI gasket material

As I understand it: Be metal in BeCu is very safe. Raw Be is
nasty, but no-one will encounter it in normal life. BeO is toxic
in the same was as asbestos - it's not poisonous, but the
particles cause chronic lung irritation that can develop into cancer.

Steve