Re: [Amps] Grid Protection Circuit for Titan 425

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Grid Protection Circuit for Titan 425
From: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 17:22:57 +0000
Jim Brown wrote:
>On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 09:09:02 -0500, Pete Smith wrote:
>
>>Is this possibly the dreaded power spike that has been discussed from time
>>to time here?
>
>As I read the doc for it, Ian's board offers protection for several faults.
>But the one I am most concerned with is overdriving the grids, which is a
>well known failure mechanism on 3CX800A7 tubes. This can easily happen in the
>heat of battle, as you forget to tune when changing bands or QSYing, or when
>something breaks. More modern amps include such circuitry, but the Titan is
>an older design (late 70's).

Have you received my diirect e-mail, Jim? (It was queried by your
firewall service.)

For an existing amplifier that only needs a few specific improvements, I
usually recommend the owner to borrow ideas from the circuits in the
user manuals for my boards. The grid trip circuit will do everything
possible to prevent major damage from the scenarios that Jim describes.

A more positive method of protection would to compare the band data from
the transceiver against a similar output from the PA bandswitch, and
keep the amplifier offline unless the two settings agree. It still
doesn't fully protect a manual (non-autotuning) amplifier, but at least
it would make the operator reach across to the amplifier controls.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek/boards