Re: [Amps] A funny thing happened at the turn of the switch...

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] A funny thing happened at the turn of the switch...
From: Radio WC6W <wc6w_amps@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 09:32:04 -0800 (PST)
  Sooooo, I tried option #3, the snubber approach, and
it kinda worked.

  I used some of the (1 uF) capacitors & diodes from
my aborted Microwave oven power supply project and a
bunch of 160K 2 watts R's wired in series parallel for
an effective 240K discharge R.

  This generally suppressed the arcing on the two
highest power settings when running at 3KV but,
switching to the lowest setting still arced fairly
repeatably.  This also happens to be at the point
where the power supply transistions out of true choke
input operation and jumps from 2950 to 3050 volts.  I
guess with the geometries involved it is a magic (or
tragic!) point.  I then increased the suppressor cap.
on this pole to 2uF and that did the trick.

  The switch still must be turned briskly.  Now if I
just had one of those spring operated mechanisms used
on the realllllly high power switches....

  If this was for more than just a test load it would
best be done with vacuum relays.

73 & Good morning,
  Marv WC6W

http://wc6w.50webs.com/