Re: [Amps] ALS-600 with ALS-600SPS SSB problem

To: <amps@contesting.com>,"Brian Sarkisian, KG8CO" <cqkg8co@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] ALS-600 with ALS-600SPS SSB problem
From: "Nils Petter Pedersen" <la7sl@online.no>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 13:15:31 +0100
Hi Brian !
There is a general problem with ALC circuits and some transceivers:
If your TX is capable of giving substantially more power than your
PA wants, the ALC/power adjustment circuits are often not fast enough
to avoid overdrive peaks at the beginning of syllables or cw "dits or
daahs".
You could try to send a string of cw "dits" with extra spacing between
them,-
this should normally also trip your circuit if this is the problem,- but not
always.
What confuses me is that you can transmit a couple of minutes before it
happens.  It could be that your your PSU protection has a "sample- and hold"
circuit that triggers when it "thinks it has got enough of it".
As i do not know your amp,- I can not give you any specific advice as to a
mod.
Be aware that some transceivers actually use internal power adjustment
circuits
showing exactly the problem described above... even if you do not use
external ALC.
Peter