[Amps] MLA-2500

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] MLA-2500
From: "Ken" <KI4ZED@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 21:27:08 -0500
Up date # 3.The last for a while.

Thanks to everyone that gave advice on the amplifier. Amp is working now,
enough to tune it in with appox. 200w output.
After I peaked it at the 200w level with about 12 watts of drive and quit
adjusting the tune and load the watt meter still very slowly climbed up.
I guess the tubes and other components really do need to be ran on standby
for at least 8 or so hours before I try any more tests.

I ended up replacing 2 diodes I salvaged off of an A/C controller board and
running a jumper to replace the fried trace.
One was open the other was shorted.

When I first turned it on the magic smoke started to get out I noticed one
of the 12v wires that supplies voltage to the meter lights was the source of
the smoke.

Haven't found out why there is a dead short there yet, but after I clipped
the wire the amp settled in to what I would consider a normal state.
The ready light came on after the expected delay. I let the amp run for a
while to see if any more problems came up then measured the voltage from the
wire I cut to ground and found it was at the 12v it was suppose to be.
Looks like a short in the meter lights somewhere.  I suspect this was the
cause of the fried trace.

I'm going to let the amp run on standby for a couple of days before I run a
full power test.

Thanks again, I am cautiously happy now.

Ken
KI4ZED