Re: [Amps] High voltage rectifiers for Henry 3K

To: José Arturo Molina <joseart@navegante.com.sv>,<amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] High voltage rectifiers for Henry 3K
From: "Roger" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 23:13:43 -0500

>I need to replace the two high voltage rectifiers in a Henry 3K. The
> parts list says 1.2 amps at 15 KV.

Those molded rectifiers are just a string of high voltage diodes, resistors
and bypass caps in a molding compound.

If you really want to make one, just use some plaster of paris and use the
original to make a mold. Then fill the mold about 1/3 full of resin and let
cure to the point wehre the parts won't sink through. Layout the already
soldered string of diodes, resistors, and caps (with end connectors) on the
cured resin. Fill the mold the rest of the way and let cure.  There will be
some voids/air bubbles, but they shouldn't be a problem.  If you really want
to be thourough, make a simple vacuum chamber out of a metal pail and put
the whole works in that after filling the mold. Just evacuate using a vacuum
cleaner for a minute or two. That's long enough to get the air out and not
long enough to ruin the motor in the vacuum cleaner. However do pay
attention to the temperature of the vacuum cleaner motor.  Use an epoxy with
a low viscosity(thin) rather than high (really thick)

> Can anyone give me more info on these, or suggest a supplier, can these
> be reliably made with a string of diodes?

Check the ARRL Handbook.

Roger (K8RI)