Re: [Amps] Amps] High voltage rectifiers for Henry 3K

To: <JMLTINC@aol.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amps] High voltage rectifiers for Henry 3K
From: "k7fm" <k7fm@teleport.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 15:25:35 -0800
"That would be like putting a Chevy 350 into a '65 Mustang (or a  Ford 390
into a '70 Chevelle 354). It will work, perhaps look OK, but still a
'butcher'
job."

Amateurs, by their very nature, are resourceful.  Indeed, one of the
justifications for amateur radio is that during an emergency they can make
things work.

When a part breaks in my amp, transmitter, receiver, engine or aircraft, I
do not hesitate to fabricate my own replacement.  The fact is that if a
factory part breaks, it may be inadequate for the purpose intended.  So, the
goal then becomes to make a replacement better than the original.  If I
could not do that, frankly, I would lose interest in amateur radio.

I restore old radios, and some parts are simply not available.  Sometimes I
need to make duplicate knobs.  When I get done, nobody will know which one
is the original and which one is the clone.  Duplicating a rectifier block
is trivial.  It would look just like the original.

In some cases, where the part is ugly or does not work very well, putting in
a factory replacement part might be a butcher job, while putting in an
improved part would be that - an improvement.  In some cases, where the
performance is the justification for it's existence, the looks may not be
critical.  It needs to be reliable.

My brother put a supercharged Chevy engine in a 32 Ford and it won a lot of
car shows.  I would not call it a butcher job.

Merry Christmas   Colin  K7FM