Re: [Amps] Construction of Light-Weight Wide High VoltageRange High-Pot

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Construction of Light-Weight Wide High VoltageRange High-Pot Testers With Excellent Voltage Resolution
From: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 20:29:41 +0000
Paul Marbourg wrote:
>I built a hi-pot tester about five years ago using components purchased
>from a company called:
>
>http://www.emcohighvoltage.com/
>
>They manufacture a wide range of solid state "cubes" and supporting
>voltage dividers that can easily generate a very wide range of DC high
>voltage.
>
>The unit I built can range from a starting 2,300 VDC up to over 20,000
>VDC @ 100 uA.  It weights all of about 4 pounds and uses a 10 turn pot
>to give excellent voltage resolution.

Many of the small inverter-type HV generators will operate over a wide
range of input voltages. With a variable DC supply voltage (LM317 or
similar) the output voltage will vary roughly in proportion.

I was lucky to find a HV inverter that was rated as 24V input, 9kV
output. However, the circuit continues to oscillate all the way down to
3V DC input, giving an output voltage range of about 1-9kV.

For most applications it isn't necessary to measure the HV very
accurately. Instead of using a permanent voltmeter, the variable DC
input control can be directly calibrated in kV (preferably using an
electrostatic meter that doesn't load the output). The current meter is
in the negative return, protected by diodes in exactly the same way as
an amplifier HV supply.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek