[Amps] Amperex 3-500Z

To: AMPS <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Amperex 3-500Z
From: Larry <larry@w7iuv.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 11:48:52 -0800
I need some help determining exactly what I have.

The tubes in question are a pair of NIB Amperex 8802/3-500Z (NOT ZG!)
They are date coded 1980.

My short form Amperex catalog dated 1969 shows the 8802/3-500Z as having
an amplification factor of 360. Eimac 3-500Z's were spec'd at 130 and
3-400Z's were 200.

The RF parts web page cautions that current production Amperex tubes
(ZG's ??) require significantly higher drive suggesting they have LOWER
gain than Eimac or chinese tubes.

I have been unable to find an Amperex data sheet that is dated later
than the 1969 data I have on file.

My problem is that these tubes are NIB. If they are truly lower gain
than current chinese tubes, I want to sell them as NIB and not plug them
into anything. On the other hand if I knew for sure they were at least
as high gain as the chinese tubes, I want to use them.

Was there a dramatic change in Amperex tubes over the years? Can anyone
shed some light on this?

Thanks & 73,  Larry
--
Larry - W7IUV