Re: [Amps] 50 or 60Hz

To: MIKE DURKIN <patriot121@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 50 or 60Hz
From: Vic K2VCO <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 20:17:45 -0800
MIKE DURKIN wrote:
> Has any one tried a plate transformer marked for 50Hz with 60Hz??

I discussed this with Peter Dahl when ordering a transformer which I
wished to use both here and in a 50-Hz. country.

He explained that, especially as transformers get larger, a 50-Hz. rated
transformer will have much more iron in it. There is no problem using
such a transformer on 60 Hz., but a 60 Hz. transformer used on 50 Hz.
will draw more current at idle, heat up and burn out.

The roughly 3.5 kVA transformer that I ultimately ordered weighed 30%
more than an equivalent one rated for 60 Hz. only. He assured me that it
would work fine on 60 Hz.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco