Re: [Amps] Oil-caps delating 2/3 ratings?

To: <TexasRF@aol.com>, <higasa@plum.ocn.ne.jp>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Oil-caps delating 2/3 ratings?
From: "k7rdx" <k7rdx@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 10:36:57 -0800
Gerald,how did your capacitors fail? Did they short internally? Did they
rupture?In my experiance over the years with oil filled caps, I have found
the pressed case types are generally designed for uses such as Heart
defibulators, and some I have had were from airport pulse strobe light
supplys,hardly rated for constant use.If the cap is small with a higher than
realistic capacity and voltage rating, then it`s probably for the described
uses. There are so many hams out there that buy this kind of junk for big
prices and really have no idea that when used in a typical ham HV supply,
they overheat internally very quickly and more times than not self-destruct.
Sure makes a mess in the power supply when one of these things goes "Poof"
and spews dielectric all over everything,not to mention the fire danger.
There are good oil filled capacitors out there but your`e going to pay the
big bucks..I have GE welded case capacitors in my HV supply here...I have
run them many times for several hours and they seldom get even mildly warm
to the touch..Yes,they are very expensive.I had a 35mfd/7500vdc rated cap
mfg by Maxwell I used for several years with my old 4-1000x2
amplifier...That one had an idling plate voltage of 6700vdc...Used it many
times and put lots of hours on it...Never a problem..Have you priced Maxwell
caps?.Moral of my story: If you want to play you have to pay...And know what
your`e paying for!..Jim,K7RDX..