[Amps] Questions about Amps/Tubes/Design

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Questions about Amps/Tubes/Design
From: Lee Buller <k0wa@swbell.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 08:46:05 -0700 (PDT)

I am looking for a second amplifier.  I have some questions....

1.  Why are there very few AL-82 amps for sale on the used market?  Either they
are turkeys or great amps.  I think they might be a great amp.  2 x 3-500Z is
pretty simple.

2.  Amp Supply - are they any good and what is the pit falls with these amps.
Seem to be straight forward design.

3.  I get a little concerned about amps that use "ceramic" tubes.  My
experience has been with "glass" tubes like the 3-500Z.  I get a little
concerned as to the availability to some of these tubes.  I know that some
manufacturers have gotten on the Russian tube band wagon and then the source
seems to dry up.  I am concerned about the cost of re-tubing...the life of
these tubes (could be years or decades I am sure) and what the deal is with the
Russian tube vs Eimac thing is all about.  Why is there such a move to these
types of tubes?

I am just doing some research and asking questions.

Lee - K0WA

In our day and age it seems that Common Sense is in short supply.  If you don't
have any Common Sense - get some Common Sense and use it.  If you can't find
any Common Sense, ask for help from somebody who has some Common Sense.  Is
Common Sense divine?