Re: [Amps] Ameritron al80a

To: Wayne Smith <vo1ta.wayne@yahoo.ca>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ameritron al80a
From: Vic K2VCO <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 22:30:39 -0700
Wayne Smith wrote:
> I burned up the top of the plate choke on my al80a trying to load up
> on 17m.Still loads up on the other bands. I am wondering if I could
> replace it with the plate choke from the al80b which is available
> from Ameritron. I suspect that they are the same.

The AL80B choke is designed to move the series resonance away from 17m.
It should work and avoid this problem. It wouldn't hurt to check it in
place with a grid dip meter, if you have one available. Temporarily
connect a direct short across it (amplifier turned off, of course) and
any resonance should be at least 1 mHz away from the ham bands.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco