Re: [Amps] Retraction with regard to the SB220

To: "Jeff Carter" <amps@hidden-valley.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Retraction with regard to the SB220
From: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 09:00:58 -0400
You have received some good advice, at least what I see that made it to the
forum.

Yes, there was a period where voodo science raised its head for awhile on
here.

I would suggest two modifications however to include in your rebuild. That
is to remove RFC2 and replace it with a 10-15 Ohm 20-25 W vitreous enamel
wire wound resistor. That is to limit HV surges thru the tube due to a gas
arc; the type of resistor is important.

The other change is to place a pair of diodes across the multimeter  (the
right hand one) terminals; they are to be connected in parallel and opposite
polarity. These will help save the rather unobtanium meter if it happens to
be on the grid position when an arc event happens. The diodes can be in the
1N4004 to 1N4007 range.

Have fun

Carl
KM1H