Re: [Amps] liquid cooled Amplifier coolant recommendations

To: TexasRF@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] liquid cooled Amplifier coolant recommendations
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 20:53:27 -0400
Some how this ended up in my "Drafts" folder after I started it early
today and I just got back to it so I'll address a couple other posts.

TexasRF@aol.com wrote:
> But, but, but, In a design with a grounded screen, there will be
> screen current showing due to the dc current generated from plate
> voltage flowing through the water to ground.

True,  but just sticking in probes is only going to give a relative reading.

> With say, 3kvdc, and 50,000 ohms, the current would be 60mA. So, it
> seems a resistivity of 5 Megohms or more might be desirable.

Also the path of the water flow through non conductive hoses (we coiled
ours) only has to be a few inches to put that resistance into the
multimegaohm range. So even with 50K resistivity (It's usually higher) a
10 inch hose with an internal cross section of 1 CM would represent 500K
plus.  A 1/4 inch tube (OD) would have a much smaller cross section and
thus a still higher resistance. Given the benefit of the doubt a 1/4"
tube with a 3/16" ID (it's more like 1/8") would have an area of about
0.1 sq inch, so the resistance would get quite high.

As to DI Vs Distilled, I don't know why the company went that way. I've
always used distilled.  However the drains they used were open to give a
visual that all pipes/tubes had water.  This meant the water which was
usually quite warm had a considerable evaporation rate and I think we
added about 50 to 100 gallons per week.  That meant the DI became *very*
aggressive.  It was not uncommon when working on one of the generators
to have a brass 1/2" or 3/4" hose barb crumble in your hands. As long as
nothing disturbed them they'd last a long time, but even with regular PM
we'd occasionally have one let go spraying water all over inside the
generator.   Depending on the generator that might or might be
expensive, but if it failed while running, the lost product was
certainly expensive, particularly back in those days.  I've mentioned it
before, but a half inch diameter slice of Intrinsically pure single
crystal silicon sold for about $160 a gram.  Now they grow poly crystal
that is more pure right out of the reactor than anything we could get
from float zoning. I believe the current slices are on the order of 14"
in diameter.

If I had a good milling machine all of my computers would be running
water cooling.
I had the order made out for a floor mill and a precision lathe laying
on my desk ready to send.  I was procrastinating for a week or two and
that's when the dot com bubble burst.  I never did get the lathe and mill.

73

Roger  (K8RI)