Re: [Amps] Alpha 8410 -- The Market should be D.O.A.

To: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 8410 -- The Market should be D.O.A.
From: Scott McGrath <mcgrath@fas.harvard.edu>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 23:33:40 -0400
GeeWiz,

1KW comes from I was talking about high power which generally starts at
1KW and up Guess all the broadcast stations up here are behind the times
because they use tubes instead of SS the exciters are all SS power
amplifiers are  hollow state.  Channel 9 did have a 25Kw backup
transmitter which was SS   As to your second point I think you proved
mine all the SS finals need a external matching network to protect them
from failure or they have protection circuitry which either shuts down
the final or progressively turns down the power as SWR exceeds 2.5 to 1

Think of this all NMR and PET scanners use tubes to generate the RF
fields needed.   These are cost no object devices if semiconductors
could handle the antenna systems used in these devices they certainly
would as I think most hospitals would prefer not to replace a dozen or
so pulse rated ceramic tubes every 250 hours or so as the tube bill and
the concomitant downtime are quite expensive

I am not sure that having more manufacturers enter the market will
decrease the cost very much heck even MFJ has a SS amp and it's
expensive.   Simple fact is that high power RF semiconductors are a low
yield process and so they tend to be expensive.   I have a spare set of
transistors for my 2KL and I shudder to think what I paid for them they
were as expensive as a new US 4CX1000A for the collins and much less
forgiving of weird loads.   I love the convenience of my 2KL no standby
heat, instant bandswitching  but  I cannot run it into  some of my
stranger antennas  like the  NVIS setup for MARS.   What will drive down
the cost is increased demand and improved fabrication processes for the
RF transistors probably on non-silicon substrates so that breakdown
voltages for the junctions will be in the low thousands of volts instead
of the low hundreds as they are now once the breakdown voltages are that
high non-optimal SWR should cease to be a issue as it will no longer be
able to cause the PA stage to fail.

What is interesting is that tube amps are now getting highly efficient
switch mode HV power supplies which removes one of the largest costs in
building a tube amp i.e. the linear power supply

I think that SS amps are now beginning to be practical  but they are
still very much in a early adopter phase right now.   Even the military
is usiing them for medium power <1KW check out the 400W brick amplifier
for the Falcon II radio sets AN/PRC-150 high power is still hollow state

Tubes will go into the history books when semiconductors become as
forgiving as tubes when operating into non-ideal loads and not until.