Re: [Amps] Alpha 77dx

To: <k2ki@starc.org>, "Amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 77dx
From: AB2E Darrell <ab2e@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 20:05:41 -0400
Hi all,
On Sunday, suddenly a whole bunch of bogus ads appeared, mostly copied ads
(such as the QRO amp ad). All had a Buy It Now imbedded within the posting,
which is your first clue it's bogus (since a real Buy It Now only appears at
the top of the ad where the current price is).

The registered user was in China, but did have substantial good feedback. A
couple hours later all the ads had been pulled by eBay, so they must triggered
a fraud alert (most of the ads appeared to be duplicated from other legitimate
ads for high priced items). Another possible flag was all of the ads had a
starting price of $92, and the Buy It Now for a brand new QRO amp (normally
$4k) was $1400.

73 and beware of the scammers!
Darrell AB2E
> Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 19:33:00 -0400> From: k2ki@starc.org> To:
> Amps@contesting.com> Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 77dx> > I too asked for
> additional photos plus some additional info on the amp. > No response!> >
> When it looks like Bull$#!+, smells like Bull$#!+, it probably is >
> Bull$#!+!!!> > GL to whomever wins it. I would like to hear their story when
> the dust > settles!> > 73...> Bob de k2ki> > jeremy-ca wrote:> > I asked
> about doing an inspection as well as pickup if I won and got no > > answer.>
> > Carl> > KM1H> >> > ----- Original Message ----- > > From: "Fern Rivard"
> <crc@cyberlink.bc.ca>> > To: "Rich Hallman - N7TR" <rich@n7tr.com>; "John
> Becker" > > <johnb3030@comcast.net>; <amps@contesting.com>> > Sent: Sunday,
> June 08, 2008 11:32 PM> > Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 77dx> >> >> > > >> I've
> asked the seller to send me some digital photos of the interior of > >> the
> amp but did NOT get any respons
 e.> >>> >> Fern> >>> >>> >> ----- Original Message ----- > >> From: "Rich
Hallman - N7TR" <rich@n7tr.com>> >> To: "John Becker" <johnb3030@comcast.net>;
<amps@contesting.com>> >> Sent: Sunday, June 08, 2008 1:58 PM> >> Subject: Re:
[Amps] Alpha 77dx> >>> >>> >> I just got a reply from the guy since I was
wondering about the amp> >> being just a few miles from me. He is now in NY and
not in Incline> >> Village NV...He also said he would do $4000 Buy it now if I
were> >> interested...> >>> >> I passed...> >>> >> -----Original Message----->
>> From: amps-bounces@contesting.com [mailto:amps-bounces@contesting.com]> >>
On Behalf Of John Becker> >> Sent: Sunday, June 08, 2008 9:56 AM> >> To:
amps@contesting.com> >> Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 77dx> >>> >>> >> > >>> I have
sent 2 messages thru eBay asking info about the amplifier and> >>> > >> have>
>>> looking like a typical eBay reply was sent from a po
 ssible bogus> >>> > >> sender> >> > >>> answering my question and also offered
it to me for a Buy It Now for> >>> > >> $4000.> >> > >>> I had not asked for a
Buy It Now. He wanted the money deposited in a> >>> > >> New> >> > >>> York
Bank account and then would have his friend ship the amplifier to> >>> > >>
me.> >> > >>> No messages have been replied thru eBay yet.> >>>> >>> Beware of
a possible scam. PayPal protection is for only $2000 and he> >>> > >> does> >>
Last year I was watching eBay for a Henry amplifier. I encountered> >> several
scam offerings of the Henry 5K, so this does go on. In addition,> >>> >> after
purchasing a 3CX1200A7 tube on eBay, I received a couple of scam> >> messages
trying to get me to send my payment to a different person. eBay> >>> >> is
generally safe to use, but just be sure to follow their
  established> >> procedures. If you get a message that doesn't look
legitimate, trust> >> your instincts and ignore it.> >>> >> 73,> >>> >> John,
list> >> Amps@contesting.com> >>