[Amps] Henry 2K4 malady?

To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Henry 2K4 malady?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 03:32:05 -0400
I mentioned this before, but thought I'd bring it up again as I head no
comments.

I've had a 2K4 for some time. Physically it's in pretty good shape and
puts out full power although it took some work to get it there.  (it was
inexpensive) and it does have a heavy duty plate transformer.  This is,
they replaced the standard with the equivelant PD.  We it me I'd have
boosted the voltage to make it a legal limit amp.

At-any-rate, it has two problems.  My guess it was originally hit by
lightning, but don't know for sure.
I had to replace the bias module (potted Zenner diodes  I think)
The RF sampling line had both piston ceramic caps blown and I replaced
those as well as the multi-meter switch and RF level pot.
    (the RF forward and reflected readings were erratic.)  However the
forward and reflected still bounces around after replacing the pot,
switch, and caps.  The sampling line is no longer available from Henry.
Also the overload relay is *noisy*. The more current you draw the louder
it gets.

Any socially acceptable suggestions?

73

Roger (K8RI ARRL Life Member)