[Amps] Transformers

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Transformers
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <mmornhin@gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 01:28:44 +0000
Hi Dino,

> I just
> picked up a 3750 KVA transformer from MagCap direct, for a GS35B
> project.

Wow, that's one big transformer! 3750kVA! That's several times larger
than the largest pole mount distribution transformer I have ever seen!
Did you really mean such high power? I wouldn't believe it!

> There are a number of companies making HV transformers.

I can't speak for the USA in this matter, but here in Chile there are
several companies that make transformers to order, with quality varying
from cheap to professional. Also there are very many small winding
shops, in almost every medium or larger city, which will gladly wind
transformers to the specs of the client. So I would suppose that in the
USA, much more developed than my country, there must exist many more
transformer winding businesses than just Peter Dahl. I would suspect
that in any US city of any significant size it should be possible to
find a winding shop that will make a pretty decent transformer for a
high power amplifier.

Anyway, I will keep preaching for the do-it-yourself approach. Winding
transformers is easy! No significant machinery is required. I really
think that anyone who can build an RF power amplifier, certainly can
wind the transformer for it.

A few days ago I wound two large high voltage transformers for use with
my water turbine setup. Today I published a set of photos showing the
construction process of these transformers. Those of you who are
interested can have a look at this page. The transformer photos are down
near the end of this long page:

http://ludens.cl/paradise/turbine/turbine.html

If anyone wants my Excel spreadsheat to calculate transformers, I will
be glad to send it by direct e-mail. This spreadsheat will not do the
full job, but it's a significant help in designing and optimizing
transformers.

Manfred.