Re: [Amps] Tube sources

To: km1h@jeremy.mv.com, gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tube sources
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 10:16:14 EDT

The GS23B aka 4CX1600U is a wonderful tube for the cost. If you are looking
for a 1500w output pa at 1296MHZ they are not as wonderful because only 1  in
6 or so will make it to that power level.

On the other hand, if you are looking for 1KW output, then maybe 1 in 3  will
make it. If you are looking for 500 to 600W output, then nearly all will
make it.

For best performance, the tube needs to be converted to water cooling. By
performance, I mean when you close the key, power output appears and stays
there
 for a reasonable length of time. If you have ever operated a smallish air
cooled  pa then you know the drill about power drift.

The above data was collected by testing about 25 GS23B/4CX1600U tubes in a
KD5FZX cavity amplifier.

At the 300 to 400W power level, the GS15B with water cooling works very  well
and these tubes are selling for $25 or less. Mats, KD5FZX has built a  couple
hundred cavities around this tube and they show up from time to time for
$400 or less. I use one of these cavities to drive a TH347 and it has provided
very stable and reliable service for many years. I drive the GS15B directly
with  an FT736R; it just doesn't get any easier than that.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 7/26/2008 8:44:01 A.M. Central Daylight Time,