Re: [Amps] Amp Supply LK800 trouble

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amp Supply LK800 trouble
From: kk2ed@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 15:50:45 +0000
Guys -

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I checked the ground connections from the load cap to the chassis.  There is a
jumper strap from the cap to the chassis, as well as the bolts holding it in
place.  I ohm'ed out the connection and it looks good.

Two suggestions were made that I have't checked yet -

One is the possibility that the plates of the cap are not making good contact
with the terminals due to "gunking" of the lubrication.  A few times we did
hear what sounded like slight arcing. but none was visible, nor were any signs
afterwards. The smell at the time might substantiate this theory.

The other is the filter caps. We have a newer heavier duty board that was
purchased but never installed. We'll try that next.  Is it possible that a
leaky cap would introduce AC into the RF stage  (thru the blocking cap) and
affect tuning?

Unfortunately the amp remains at my friend's qth, so I probably won't be back
there untill Monday or Tuesday.   I should have just brought the darn thing
here!

Thanks
Eric