Re: [Amps] Tube Upgrade for Motorola 2 Meter Amp

To: "Al Waller" <k3tkj@qsl.net>, "'Steve Berg'" <wa9jml@tbc.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tube Upgrade for Motorola 2 Meter Amp
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 14:10:23 -0400
There is nothing wrong with using an old style PS as it was designed for any
class of service. The problems start when the tube rectifiers are removed and
SS rectifiers with a single fat cap are used.
A well designed choke input filter will give .9 DC output referenced to the
listed AC output of the xfmr. The regulation will be better than the typical C
only filter and the peak output under full load will be better. This is without
a tuned choke.

There are many examples of Ham and commercial amps using a regular choke input
PS.

I have that 4-125A amp or a close clone and the circuit is right out of the
Eimac spec sheet. I believe mine was used in Class C AM for the airlines or FAA
on the 130 mHz range. With the lines shortened it does a comfortable 300W out
on 2M FM for contests and that is with the tubes that were in it.

A VHF FM High Band amp will probably need the lines lengthened a small amount
to get down to 144.

With a little work a pair of 4CX-250's, 8930's, or Russian 4CX400A's could be
fitted; all using the same socket. Depending on the PS used the SSB output
would be in the 600-1200W area. Maybe 400-500W PEP with the existing PS and
just SS rectifiers.

Line lengths can be calculated by comparing the output C of the 4-125's against
the ceramics.

Carl
KM1H