[Amps] SB-1000

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] SB-1000
From: "Joe Frank" <jfrank002@neo.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 14:01:26 -0400
Built my SB 1000 about 10 to 12 years ago but was travelling a lot and  used
ALS 500 in motor home so SB 1000 has had little use.

Initial start up was normal except for one quirk.  Resonant point for plate
variable capacitor is WAY OFF on the dial as compared to 80 meter dial mark. At
3875 instead of pointing at the 80 meter mark (maybe 80% meshed) it resonates
near the center of the dial ( maybe 30% meshed) just to the left of the 40
meter point.

Have double checked construction details many times and have given up on
finding the problem.
    Doorknob caps---labeled value in proper place and connected to band switch
as instructed. Also checked all details of connection of coil L-8.
    Control knob and pointer are attached and oriented to the capacitor
position  as instructed.

    The 40, 20, 15 & 10 meter circuits are normal with normal pointer position.

The amp works OK and serves my needs as is but I am not comfortable with it
since it is not normal operation and I would not want to sell it in this
condition.

Could you speculate as to possible cause of this problem. My first  guess was
too much fixed capacity in the circuit but I have no equipment to measure the
actual value of the doorknobs.    Have considered replacement in case they are
mislabeled. Would sure appreciate any comments you could make about this
problem.
Thank You
Joe M Frank WA8JOE
jfrank002@neo.rr.com