Re: [Amps] illegal amps?

To: "RAY FRIESS" <rayfrijr@msn.com>, <amps@contesting.com>, <af2c@njdxa.org>
Subject: Re: [Amps] illegal amps?
From: "EP Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 13:41:44 -0400
Hi Ray,

A good point, well made...

Another thing I discovered --- after I first fired-up the Palomar on 10-meters
& called CQ --- was that the doggone thing sounded just AWFUL at the other end.
All I did initially was re-peak / tweak everything to play up above 28-MHz, but
the distortion was terrible.

I ended-up biasing the control grids of the two 6LQ6 sweep tubes by way of a
9-volt battery, and the improvement in signal quality was remarkable. The only
caveat (beyond that, of course) is that these old mobile tube-type amplifiers
used (then) state-of-the-art germanium power transistors in the multi-vibrator
circuits of their power supplies, which can cost an arm & a leg in to-day's NOS
replacement market. An ample junque box is gold in this way...

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ