Re: [Amps] LK-500 Blows Filter Cap

To: amps@contesting.com, Larry K4AB <larry.k4ab@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] LK-500 Blows Filter Cap
From: Russ Williams <hrd998cc@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 20:27:45 -0800 (PST)
My .02:  Heat can be a factor, and lacking enough voltage headroom with respect
to the capacitor voltage rating can definitely be a factor.  Suggest using caps
rated for 105 degree C and increasing the headroom to say at least 25% over
peak voltage  A step start is nice as well; I use the Harbach Electronics kits
for convenience.  The Drake L-$B power transformer no longer growls with a
BONNNNNNNG on closing the ON switch.  The switch and the 3-500z filaments must
love it too.

So... did your capacitors hiss and spew out goo or just POP!?  ;-)

73.

Russ
W6OHM