[Amps] Tempo 2002 PS Issue

To: Amplifier Reflector <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Tempo 2002 PS Issue
From: N7SC <n7sc@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 10:33:24 -0800
Hi All...
 I am repairing a Henry Tempo 2002 amp that shorted some of the filter
electrolytic caps. I figured it was due anyway going on 25 years old.
After replacing them,  I was getting arcing in the new caps. The no load
plate voltage used to be around 2300vdc and is now over 3000vdc.
Removing the capacitor bank from the circuit gives the normal no load
voltage. It appears that the 10H @ .5A/ .1UF @ 8KV resonant choke is not
working correctly and charging the caps to the rectified peak value. The
bleeder is ok,  the .1UF tests ok for value and hi-pot,and the choke
hi-pots ok. The choke DC resistance is about 16 ohms, which looks pretty
low to me. I have very limited experience with resonant choke circuits.
 Anyone know of an easy way to correctly test this choke or have any
helpful ideas ?? Ted Henry says they no longer have any of these chokes,
so that's not an option.

Tnx...
Steve/N7SC

No virus found in this outgoing message
Checked by PC Tools AntiVirus (4.0.0.18 - 10.100.065).
http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/