Re: [Amps] Drake W4 Wattmeter Question

To: "Lloyd Korb" <k8dio@windstream.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Drake W4 Wattmeter Question
From: "k7fm" <k7fm@teleport.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 08:14:29 -0800
"I did some comparisons, at the 100 watt level on my TS-2000, with my Bird
with a 100A element and my
Drake WV4 VHF wattmeter. I didn't go below 15 meters as the WV4 is only good
down to 20 MHz. The Bird 100A is good from 25 - 60 MHz. This is what I
found: "

Frankly, I would not give treat information from the WV4 and the Bird as the
gospel truth.  Before you tear the W4 apart, I would use a known standard.
I consider the WV4 and the 100A as both questionable, unless they have been
checked for calibration.

In my 50 years of ham radio, I have needlessly torn apart and attempted to
repair more than one item because my "standards" were off.  And, using two
unknown standards is not any better than one.

What makes your readings suspicious is that the 100A and WV4 are telling you
that the output of the TS-2000 is dropping as you go down in frequency,
which may be a red flag, since that is backwards from what you would expect.
In fact, the W4 redings are more consistent with what is expected from most
multi-band ham rigs.

Never operate unless you are sure you have the right patient.

73,  Colin  K7FM