Re: [Amps] 5cx1500 Amp

To: Bill Fuqua <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 5cx1500 Amp
From: "David C. Hallam" <dhallam@rapidsys.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 12:34:51 -0500
Bill Fuqua wrote:
> There may also be a slight difference in the center post height in the
> socket.
> If look at the physical drawing on the eimac specs perhaps you can tell.
> The suppressor connector is not a bayonet type but simply uses a spring
> pressure contact.
> It is continuous ring around the base.
> The 5CX1500A is spec. for Class C and AB1 while the B is intended for
> class C in FM transmitters.
> It may have more distortion in linear mode than the A.
>
> 73
> Bill wa4lav
>

> At 07:29 PM 1/3/2009 -0500, you wrote:
>> Fuqua, Bill L wrote:
>> > I don't think I have ever seen an article on a 5CX1500 amplifier.
>> They are usually used FM Broadcast transmitters since they can produce
>> over 3kW in class C but can be used in class AB1 as well. They are
>> more rugged than the 4cx1500 and take a special socket. And cost more
>> than the 4cx1000 as well. The design should be same however as for a
>> 4cx1500 amplifier. It just has a suppressor grid which is connected to
>> ground. I have several plasma generators  that use the tube and also
>> at work we have a 12 kW amplifier which uses one as the driver tube.
>> It is used in our post acceleration buncher for our linear accelerator.
>> >
>> > 73
>> > Bill wa4lav

I can't tell you about the 5CX1500B but I have a 5CX1500A in a socket
sitting on the desk right in front of me.  Yes, there is a difference
between the 4CX1500A and the 5cx1500A sockets.  But, it is only in the
height necessary for the bayonet contacts for the suppressor grid.  The
contact with the pressure ring on both of them is the screen grid ring.
  This ring is held in contact by the bayonet contacts with the finger
stock that forms the one part of the screen grid bypass capacitor built
into the socket.

By the way, I use a 4CX1500A in my HB linear.

David
KC2JD/4