[Amps] interesting piece of kit.....

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] interesting piece of kit.....
From: DAVE WHITE <mausoptik@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 15:56:11 +0000 (GMT)
This looks like an interesting piece of kit:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=330299130000&Category=1504

An "A43984 Henry RF Power Supply".

It looks a bit of a "home brew" solution to capacitors:  Fixed doorknobs and
adjust the last few pFof tune and load with a couple of sets of two plates, one
on a thread with a sheet of PTFE in the middle, but I guess it works!

I recently saw a 4PR1000A amp which had the opposite solution:  fixed
doorknob-type capacitors and a Pi inductor that was squeezed or stretched by a
piece of threaded PTFE through the middle, though this one looks like a Pi-L

I'd guess at around 10MHz, but there looks like quite a lot of L in the plate
choke for that.

If it's only run at 2kW out, I think that makes the tube potentially
under-rated by 75% unless there's a really low HT.

The transformer looks a bit smaller thsan many I've seen.  I recently got a
quote from TEC in Basildon for a 4.5kV at 10kva single phase transformer and it
was going to weigh 250lbs and measure about 1 foot cubed.  Oo-er. Nearly twice
my weight. I did worry about putting this in an upstairs shack, but I guess
it's only like a fat lad sitting in the corner!

cheers

Dave G0OIL