[Amps] hi pot versus RF voltages

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] hi pot versus RF voltages
From: "John Lyles" <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 13:15:04 -0700
Work was done in the early days of high voltage RF to try and correlate these
different breakdown conditions. I have a collection of papers on the subject
that I have researched over the years, due to my own need to understand this
for high power RF designs. To summarize the findings, RF high voltage is
strange! It is difficult to find exact matches, and conditions vary among
experiments. If you are using standardized ball gaps at sea level under fixed
humidity, and making breakdown studies, peak RF voltage and DC are not far
apart. The balls must be 1 inch or larger for this. As they approach needle
points (sharp edges too) then RF breaks down much easier than DC. Add the
presence of ionization influences from cosmic rays, UV light,  or a nearby
radioactive source, and it changes again.

My own figure of merit has been to use DC high potting and assume that the RF
peak voltage breakdown is similar, as long as generous allowances have been
made, such as keeping clearances, adding corona rings around sharp conductors,
acorn nuts, buffing surfaces smooth, radiusing conductors and nearby grounds.
Otherwise, if you are wondering about a band switch or coaxial connector, then
all bets are off that there is a 1:1 correlation of DC to RF breakdown. As
frequency increases, it is said that ionization takes place at lower voltage
than breakdown voltage. Negative ions to accumulate at the gap. They are swept
from the the field each half cycle. Positive ions, however, are not so easily
swept out as they are heavier. At 60 Hz they can be swept out, but at higher
frequencies, they add to the field stress at the gap and cause a lower voltage
breakdown.

But to be conservative, use a DC high potter, and then add a figure of safety
to your design for RF. I don't have a ratio to quote, maybe others have
experience with that. Standing waves on lines, of course, make knowing the
exact RF voltage complicated. Or use an AC high potter, even a neon sign
transformer with a variac driving it and do your own testing to prove the
correlation. It isn't simple.

Some of the better old reports on this are:
L. E. Reukema, "The Relation Between Frequency and Spark-Over Voltage in a
Sphere-Gap Voltmeter". Pacific Coast Convention, AIEE, Sept, 1927.
F. W. Peek Jr., "Dielectric Phenomena in High Voltage Engineering", book, 1929.
P. A. Ekstrand, "Radio-Frequency Spark-Over in Air", Proc. IRE, June, 1940.
A. Alford,"Radio Frequency High Voltage Phoenomena", Pacific Coast Convention,
AIEE, June, 1939.

73
John
K5PRO