Re: [Amps] Remote power supply question

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Remote power supply question
From: Rick Stealey <k2xt.res@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 11:53:46 -0500

> With just the high volts transformer remote, Is it best to run a supply from
> the RF deck to control it?

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  If you mean how to control the PS
from the RF deck, I suggest you develop a low voltage in the RF deck
and feed this to the PS to activate a relay (or contactor).  That way
the PS can never be turned on unless the RF deck is active. I don't
have kids running around the basement, or an XYL that cares about amp
power supplies, but I just feel better knowing the power supply cannot
develop HV unless the RF deck has commanded it on.

> Do I need to think of some sort of electrical interlock??

I'll toss out some ideas that I implemented and you can see if they
fit your situation. My amp is in the shack above the power supply in
the basement.  The 220 volt line comes in to a circuit breaker, which
is normally left on all the time.  The 220 lines go to two contactors
in series.  These are controlled by low voltage coming down from the
RF deck.  The second one has step start resistors across the contacts.
 When the LV drops the PS goes off immediately.  It also goes off if
the remote cable should become disconnected at the amp, or at the PS.
The HV cable is secured so people can't come in contact with it or
disconnect it.  When the PS is on there is a large pilot light that is
lit, and a voltmeter to show if there is HV and how much the bleeders
have bled down the HV, and an internal fan.  Therefore, if you
approach the HV supply you KNOW if it is on.  If there should be some
emergency at the PS it can be disabled by flipping the circuit breaker
on the front panel.
Since I have control of the HV from the RF deck, I do not allow B+ to
be generated until the tube is ready for it, meaning the low voltage
control signal cannot go to the PS until after the 3 minute timer has
completed.

Good luck,

Rick K2XT