[Amps] Harris Power Amps

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Harris Power Amps
From: "John Lyles" <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 08:44:19 -0700
I've had an RF103 and a 101. The 103 was a mess (3-1000Z gg), due to being in a
basement of the Black hole junkyard for years. I parted it out, and was
planning to reuse the transformer for a Chippewa restoration (now I found the
original KS-1 so I don't need to). The 103 was about the size of a KWS-1. I
found a 101 last summer, and it has a pair of 3-400Z. It is being repaired for
use. It had untuned input to the cathode ckt, so I have build a deck inside to
add this. Problem with it was limited channelization. These radios have fixed
presets for frequency, relay or motorized switches to control them. They aren't
exactly continuously tunable in real time. The 101 is smaller, but still in a
roll around short unit. It dates from the mid 1960s. I don't know the 102.

On the other hand, I have a Harris HFL1000 for use at work. It is a beast, and
is very complex. Has preamplifier tubes.  It reflects the Gates Radio lineage
of Harris Intertype products.
John
K5PRO