[Amps] SB220 transformer

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] SB220 transformer
From: DAVE WHITE <mausoptik@btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 20:27:22 +0000 (GMT)
Hi all

Well when I spoke of the amp that G0DBE has had on loan from me for a while,
extolling its virtues and saying how reliable it was....

....I GAVE IT THE KISS OF DEATH!

Just how can praising a piece of equipment that's been reliable for 30 years
cause it suddenly to fail?  Is it the same jinx that causes good amps to
suddenly burst into flames at 0001z on a Friday night at the first utterence of
the Phrase "CQ CONTEST"?  I think we should be told.

Anyway, it appears that the HT transformer is knackered, taking the plate
blocking capacitor with it - and who knows what else.  I'll rebuild it at some
point soon.  In the meantime I need to get a transformer....

Does anyone happen to have the spec and dimensions of the Heath SB220
transformer to hand?  I'll get one ordered from TEC in Basildon who I'm sure
will build me a transformer that'll last another 30 years.

Anyone got any idea what typically precipitates these failures?  I don't know
the exact sequence of events since the amp's been out on loan for about 10
years or more.

cheers

Dave G0OIL