[Amps] looking for design

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] looking for design
From: Ulf Tjerneld <star@frizon.org>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 14:12:30 +0100
Hi All,

I did experiment with some home built tube amplifiers back in the early
80's, but I was never really successful. Mostly, because it was hard
locating surplus parts here in Sweden and my high-school economy didn't
allow for buying brand new parts. The only thing I got running was an
amplifier with a single 813. I think I got about 200 watts, and I could
never run it below 15 meter because the capacitors wasn't big enough.
Later on I drifted away from amateur radio and electronics design - hard
to find room for that when I moved to a student room. Recently I came
back to amateur radio and I started with building some antennas and I
felt the joy from last time I was active! So, now the thought came to me
that maybe it was time to fulfill my dream of building a tube amplifier
- doing everything right this time! First I bought a box of scattered
parts, including a couple of vacuum capacitors, a transformer and a
GS35B, but I quickly discovered that the plate transformer only
delivered 1700 volts, too little for the GS35B. At least if I want to
drive it to its full potential. After thinking a little bit, I decided
that instead of getting a new plate transformer, it was a better idea to
build something around the existing transformer. 2400 volts DC would be
perfect for the boxed 813’s I kept all those years. And as I see it,
maybe this a better beginners project? So, now I’m looking for a design.
I have some old ARRL-handbooks with a couple of 813-designs. But I would
like to see more of what is out there! That’s why I’m trying this forum
to see if I can get any ideas about 813-design. I’d be happy for any
suggestions!

Thanks and 73’s de Ulf/SM0NOR