Re: [Amps] Low Power

To: <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Low Power
From: Paul M Dunphy <amplifier@ve1dx.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 20:36:46 -0400
At 08:25 PM 3/1/2009, Ken Bills wrote:
>While RTTY contesting this weekend, I wondered, since my amp still was
>warmed up, if it made sense to run the Alpha at 100 watts output, versus
>pushing the exciter at it's 100 watt limit. It only required about 9-10
>watts output, to deliver the 100 watt contest limit.
>

>I am sure this doesn't help my carbon footprint, but it may save the finals
>in the Icom ProIII.
>

>Any thoughts?

Bill,

     I can replace the tube(s) in my amp fairy easily, and driving a
1000+ watt amp at 100 watts is just loafing it.  However, I can't
replace the finals in my PROIII (I have one too.)  I'd have to send
it back to the factory, or find a local electronics guru who was
willing and able to do it for me.

     My philosophy after 23+ years on HF is to let the amp do the
work and save the exciter for this reason.  In my view it is better
to have the amp and rig both running at 10-15% capacity than to have
either running at or near 100% capacity.

73, Paul VE1DX