Re: [Amps] caps across rectifier diodes

To: Jan Erik Holm <sm2ekm@telia.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] caps across rectifier diodes
From: "Fuqua, Bill L" <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 02:08:22 -0500
Most HV rectifiers' switching speeds are too slow to rectify RF at ham
frequencies. Reverse recovery time is usually on the order of microseconds.
That is why they are some times used in place of PIN diodes in cheap RF
switches and attenuators.
Also as meter protection diodes. If you use fast  signal or switching diodes
across meters in RF amplifiers in some cases the meters will actually swing the
wrong way because they do rectify the RF.
  So these slow switching speed HV diodes can modulate RF signals but not
rectify them. They also make for cheap varicap diodes for the same reason.

73
Bill wa4lav