[Amps] Electrical Grade Shellac

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Electrical Grade Shellac
From: "David Craig" <davidhcraig@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 18:14:00 -0500
    I am planning to rewind 3 transformers and am looking for some information
regarding core plate insulation.  The goal here isn't to save $- I know I could
pay to have them rewound, but rather to learn something by trying it myself.
    I understand shellac was used for the insulation of individual plates in
the past- is this still done?  Information about this is hard to come by- I
have been searching for months.  If shellac is the way to go, what grade?  I
assume dewaxed (super-blonde) is best, but I am guessing.  Can I get by with
"blonde" (at 4.5% average wax content)?  I cannot locate any information on the
"cut" of shellac either.
    It was suggested to me to just use AC-43 spray on each plate but, given the
plates are all "used", I have to wonder if that will be create too much
build-up between plates & hence a larger core en toto.  Another source
suggested that, after stacking dry, the stack be "shifted" to allow wicking of
varnish between plates.  Without a coat of shellac as "insurance" that seems
risky.

    Any information, or direction to a reference on plate preparation/assembly
would be appreciated.

    Dave N3DB