[Amps] Acom 1000 caps?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Acom 1000 caps?
From: TMorton <cx7tt@4email.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 16:42:03 -0200
Hola,
My 5 yr Acom 1000 went 'KAPOW' a couple of days ago. It was sitting in
standby awaiting action. This is the 3rd time I have had
'kapow'....first was about 1.5 years ago. Found there was a spot on the
bottom of one cap (Acom uses 8 150uf/450v caps) that appeared to have
shorted to the bottom of the chassis. Acom had used some sort of rubber
looking thingy to insulate and act as shock absorber under the double
row of caps. We removed the rubber and liberally applied tape to the
bottom of the offending cap...
Second 'kapow' was about 2 months ago. This time we found that R1A, a 3w
resistor in the HV supply had cooked itself. Replaced and all was fine
until a couple of days ago. We (Pedro/CX5BW) and I did some
troubleshooting and discovered that the original offending cap (the one
with tape on the bottom) was now leaking....cant find those replacement
caps here in CX land so we jury rigged a 470uF 450v cap  in  its' place
and all is well.
I am heading for states next week and will pick up some caps; probably
good idea to replace all 8 now....sooo, my question is: any problem with
increasing the caps to 220 uF/450v caps? They would be prefect fit as
they are 25 x 40mm...original were 25 x 43. This would help with the
clearance from the bottom of the caps to the chassis.
What say you, gang?

73
Tom
CX7TT/CW7T in ARRL SSB