Re: [Amps] A Symptom of Low Bias?

To: "'KB0NLY'" <kb0nly@mchsi.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] A Symptom of Low Bias?
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 14:49:57 -0500
Hi Scott,

It sounds like you are way overdriving the amp. When tuning up do not
increase the drive any more when you have obtained maximum output from the
amp. Never mind if the grid current is lower than expected, that's good.

If you have it tuned up for 450 watts output on CW and switch to ssb your
peak power will reach the 450 watt level and you will see little plate
current increase over the 100 ma idle current. The plate current may kick up
to around 150-200ma on voice peaks and you will see very little grid
current. That's normal! Any more and you are overdriving the amp. If you
have a scope lay the scope probe near the amp to get a reading of around 2/3
scale on the scope when in cw. When on ssb you should see the peaks reach
the same level as the cw did on the scope. That is reaching full power and
the meters will move very little.

73
Gary  K4FMX