Re: [Amps] measuring bandpass of a power amp with an NA

To: dansawyer@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: [Amps] measuring bandpass of a power amp with an NA
From: jeff millar <jeff@wa1hco.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2009 20:05:35 -0400
Dan...

The input impedance of a transistor at RF frequencies runs a few ohms,
depending on a variety of factors, with high power meaning lower
impedance. 30 dB in power means 1000:1 in power or about 30:1 in
voltage. The network analyzer measures power in 50 Ohms, but if
connected to a source of only a few ohms, it basically becomes a voltage
measuring device. So, if the input matching network transforms 50 Ohms
down to 1.5 Ohms, that would result in the measuring a 30:1 voltage
reduction, about what you saw.

jeff, wa1hco