Re: [Amps] Choosing a Plate Transformer

To: "'Jeff Blaine'" <keepwalking188@yahoo.com>, "'KB0NLY'" <kb0nly@mchsi.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Choosing a Plate Transformer
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 20:53:35 -0400
The "2500v @ 600ma" doesn't necessarily mean at the same time. Lots of spec
sheets will show maximum voltage and maximum current but that is often an
either or rating.

If you ran the tube at 850 watts input with 60% efficiency that would give
you 510 watts out and the plate would have to dissipate 340 watts.  (850 -
510 = 340 watts plate dissipation)

I am assuming a continuous duty but I don't know if that the tube is rated
at 350 plate dissipation.

What the voltage and current spec is telling you is that you can get to the
850 watt power input level in two ways. One is at the maximum plate voltage
of 2500 volts and the current would be limited to 340 ma. (2500 x .340 = 850
watts)

The other way would be at the maximum current of 600 ma and the voltage
would be limited to 1416 volts..(1416 x .600 = 850 watts)

73

Gary  K4FMX

  _____