[Amps] SB-1000 rookie

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] SB-1000 rookie
From: Tom Mandera <tsm1@tmcom.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 23:34:51 -0600
Thank you all for your assistance.

I think I have it all figured out now.  I had a few issues.

One, the internal watt meter for power out isn't just "off" but rather
OFF.  Part of my concern was seeing 150w or 200w of output power out of
a "desktop kilowatt" so I cranked up the exciter trying to get closer to
the targeted power output, only to run too much plate current.

I didn't expect the meter to be off so far.

I found and installed my inline SWR/wattmeter tonight, and with
everything adjusted, I'm a little shy of 1kw (~800w) while the internal
meter indicates 200w.

I'm much happier with 700-800w out of the single 3-500Z.

I'm tuning up to 400ma Plate, and ~120ma Grid with around 60w drive.

Indicating 700+ watts key down, though the wattmeter only sports a 500
and 1000 mark.

I assume the SSB output is less and I could get more peak power out of
the tubes at the SSB duty cycle, but the improvement as it stands is
still significant enough to make a difference, as indicated by on-air
tests tonight on 80m, under poor conditions to some stations that had a
hard time hearing me barefoot under good conditions.

Another problem I have is that the Plate and Load controls need adjusted
- as in the knobs need re-indexed.  The Plate is off by 90-deg, and the
Load would seem to be off by 60deg or so.

Time to dive into the Heathkit manual and see what I can do about that.

My thanks to everyone that sent advice.

-Tom
ke7vux