[Amps] TV Transmitters

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] TV Transmitters
From: "John Lyles" <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 21:52:51 -0700
I contacted dozens of television stations in a four state area of the southwest
last month, about this very idea. Not for ham use, but I have a need for a 20
kW amplifier at 200 MHz, (near Ch 11 high band VHF) at work.  All i found were
old tube type transmitters that were being obsoleted. Any station that
converted their high band VHF to solid state is most likely retrofitting it to
handle the new signals. VHF low band transmitters will be found, as there are
many less of them staying on the air on those channels. The problem with the
big tube transmitters is that they are mostly three phase, and have  6 MHz wide
cavity circuits. About all that would be useful for hams might be the driver
stages for EME.
John
K5PRO