Re: [Amps] winding an HV transformer

To: Paul Decker <kg7hf@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] winding an HV transformer
From: jeff millar <jeff@wa1hco.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 22:57:59 -0400
Paul...

Since the H bridge generate a square wave voltage on the primary and not
a sine wave, the output should also have a square ave stepped up by the
turns ratio.  The 1.4X or 0.9X rules apply to sine waves into a
capacitive or inductive load.

For an H bridge fed from a 340V rail, the transform primary will see 340
Volts, in both polarities, effectively a 680V square wave driving
voltage.  With your 6:1 turns ratio, this works out to 4080V square wave
on the output, producing a 4080V DC on the capacitors.

Did I interpret your design correctly?

jeff, wa1hco