Re: [Amps] Can someone ID this tube and its use ?

To: Carl <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>, "Jim Tonne" <Tonne@Comcast.net>, <jtml@vla.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Can someone ID this tube and its use ?
From: "John Lyles" <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 10:23:38 -0700
My memory agrees with Carl's memory, although I was not around in the early 50s
to know first hand. But I have seen Y-tubes that are quite old in various
systems. Also, they still sell Y tubes.

 Jim, I think someone at Continental was stretching things to say the Y-series
of part numbers were due to Tom Y. Tom was at RCA during the 1950s. He is
indeed a tube professional, having worked on design of many large tubes for
them. Just my guess though. Someone should ask Tom at the upcoming NAB, he is
usually around the Eimac guys or Continental. I always enjoyed talking with him
about tubes. The one that I use daily here is a Burle 7835 triode, 3 MW output
at 200 MHz, pulsed. Guess who was part of the design team at RCA in the mid
50's?

RCA made A-series tubes which were developmental numbers.

73
John
K5PRO